Opening for one Post-doctoral fellow in the project ARCHERS
Opening for One Post-Doctoral "Stavros Niarchos Foundation - FORTH Fellowship" within the project
Advancing Young Researchers' Human Capital in Cutting Edge Technologies in the Preservation of Cultural Heritage and the Tackling of Societal Challenges
Exclusively funded by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation
The Institute for Mediterranean Studies (IMS) of the Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FORTH), in the framework of the project ARCHERS, aimed at reducing or even reversing the brain drain, which is funded by an exclusive donation of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, is seeking to recruit one post-doctoral fellow.
The research objectives of the post include: rectification and digitization of plans/maps/drawings, the image processing of satellite imagery datasets, the contribution in GIS analysis and modeling, the participation in a number of geophysical fieldwork activities in Greece, the delivery of geoinformatic lectures in international seminars that will be organized by the Laboratory of Geophysical - Satellite Remote Sensing and Archaeo-environment of FORTH, the active participation in the publications of the project's results in international peer reviewed journals and conferences. Candidates need to have a strong stimulus and be able to collaborate and interact constructively within an international team with various disciplines.
- PhD in Earth and Environmental Sciences (25%).
- Experience in satellite remote sensing processing, GIS applications, Digital Elevation Models (DEMs) analysis, focusing in the development of multi-criteria decision analysis techniques, risk assessment analysis and landscape research (25%).
- Publications in peer review journals and/or international conferences (15%).
- Participation in a number of research projects and conferences (national/international) dealing with satellite remote sensing, GIS and geophysical prospection (10%).
- Knowledge of GIS software's (ArcGIS, MapInfo, GRASS, Quantum GIS), satellite remote sensing software's (ERDAS, ENVI) and topographic mapping through GPS (10%).
- Teaching experience in the fields of satellite remote sensing and GIS applications (10%).
- Good knowledge of Greek and English language (5%).
Location: IMS-FORTH, Rethymno Crete, GREECE
Start Date: 1st of May, 2017
Duration of appointment: 12 months (with possibility of extension according to the needs of the project).
Interested candidates who meet the aforementioned requirements are kindly asked to submit their applications electronically (by e-mail), no later than the April 2nd, 2017, 23:59 local Greece time to the address firstname.lastname@example.org, with cc to email@example.com.
In order to be considered, the application must include:
- Application Form (please download form at the end of this page)
- Detailed curriculum vitae (CV) of the candidate
- Copies of academic titles/transcripts
Any application received after the deadline will not be considered for the selection
For information and questions regarding the application and selection procedure, candidates are asked to contact Dr. Nikos Papadopoulos (firstname.lastname@example.org), tel. +30 28310-56627 or 25146.
The result of the selection will be announced on the website of IMS-FORTH (www.ims.forth.gr).
Candidates have the right to appeal the selection decision, by addressing their written objection to the IMS secretariat within five (5) days since the results announcement on the web. They also have the right to access (a) the files of the candidates as well as (b) the table of candidates' scores (ranking of candidates results). All the above information related to the selection procedure will be available at the secretariat of IMS-FORTH in line with the Hellenic Data Protection Authority.