POSTS: IMS/LAB/Κ/P/PostDoc-2, IMS/LAB/Κ/P/PostDoc-3 and IMS/LAB/Κ/P/PostDoc-4 Post-Doc Researchers (3 Posts) with a PhD in one of the following topics: geophysics, electrical engineering, surveying engineering, navigation technologies, satellite remote sensing, geology, physics, archaeological sciences, a.o.
Post-Doc Researchers (3 Posts)
with a PhD in one of the following topics: geophysics, electrical engineering, surveying engineering, navigation technologies, satellite remote sensing, geology, physics, archaeological sciences, a.o.
The Lab of Satellite Remote Sensing and Archaeo-environment of the Institute for Mediterranean Studies - Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (IMS-FORTH) announces 3 Post-Doc scholarships for scholars to participate in its research projects dealing with Archaeolandscape studies, geophysical prospection of archaeological sites, satellite remote sensing and GIS. Scholars will participate in the implementation of the project POLITEIA of Action KRIPIS of the General Secretary for Research and Tehcnology. The project deals with the Culture and Technology, and the particular Post-Docs will be employed for the materialization of the Work Package 2 (Development of an integrated mapping system of archaeological sites with emphasis in the usage of space).
The researchers will be involved in one or more of the following modules:
- Systematic geophysical survey of archaeological sites (Greece, Cyprus, etc) using single and multi-sensor magnetometers, single and multi-antenna ground penetrating radar, multi-frequency EM, magnetic susceptibility measurements, aerial imaging using UAV units, Satellite remote sensing ; Processing of data and creation of GIS maps. GIS spatial analyses.
- Establishment of communication and development of navigation and processing software for the geophysical units and the UAV using palms or portable PCs and DGPS units, export of data at different formats and projections; photogrammetric analysis.
- Methods of correlation, synthesis and fusion among diverse datasets - geophysical- aerial- satellite.
Post-Doc researchers need to have field research experience and a technical specialization that would strengthen existing Institute expertise. Previous experience with similar instrumentation applied in cultural and environmental domain and programming capabilities will be considered as positive. Post-Doc candidates need to have a record of achievement in the use of the above mentioned technologies demonstrated by peer reviewed publications.
They will also participate in providing lectures at international seminar series. Candidates will participate in the publications of the results of the projects they shall be involved in and they will be encouraged to publish in international peer reviewed journals. Candidates need to have a strong stimulus and be able to collaborate and interact constructively within an international team with various disciplines.
The term of contract: 24 months (starting from July 2013 or before)
- PhD in one of the following topics: geophysics, electrical engineering, surveying engineering, navigation technologies, satellite remote sensing, geology, physics, archaeological sciences, a.o.
- A significant publication record in peer-review international journals and or conferences.
- Participation in a number of research projects of applied remote sensing (geophysical/satellite) in archaeology.
- Knowledge of geophysical data processing (Geoplot, Surfer, GPRslice, Sensors&Software packages, BartSoft, a.o.), GIS (ArcGIS), topographic mapping through GPS and post processing of GPS data, development of navigation software, satellite image processing software will be positive.
- Previous experience with multi-sensor magnetometers, multi-antenna GPR, multi-frequency EM will be positive but not necessary.
- Very good knowledge of English
Applications, including identification and communication details, a CV, copy of the PhD degree, and the names, e-mails, and phone numbers of three referees should be sent to Dr A. Sarris by 22 February 2013 at the address: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
EXTENSION FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS 03/03/2013