Call for Papers - Women, Money and Markets (1600-1900)
Institute for Mediterranean Studies, Rethymno, Crete
June 15-17, 2022
This annually-held conference addresses the role of women in consumerism, shopping, global trade, domestic trade, markets (literary and otherwise), currency, and varying practices of exchange. The conference is interdisciplinary in nature, bridging literature, material culture, gender studies, theatre and economic history, and aims to relate the debates of the period to modern-day issues about the presence and position of women in the economy, the market and the media.
This year we are holding the conference in Rethymno, Crete, at the Institute for Mediterranean Studies – FORTH, and welcome contributions in the form of individual papers or panels and roundtable on:
- Varying practices of women associated with currency, global and/or domestic markets and marketability
- Material practices associated with value, exchange and/or female creativity
- Women as producers and/or consumers in the literary or other marketplaces (including, but not limited to, food, clothing, agriculture and raw materials)
- Representations of women at work or women’s involvement in:
- Trade, business and industry
- Professional services (e.g. law, finance, hospitality and the media)
- Domestic service
- The rural economy
- The stock market and speculation
- The literary marketplace (past and present)
This year we are featuring two special areas of interest and welcome contributions on these topics:
- Women, Textile Production and Markets
- Women, Shipping and Seafaring Trade
We particularly welcome cross-cultural considerations of the above issues.
Guide for submissions:
Please send 250 - 300 word abstracts to the conference organizers’ email addresses indicated below, plus a covering email outlining briefly your proposed format (individual paper, panel, roundtable, etc.). If you are submitting a proposal for a panel, please include an abstract for each paper in your panel (up to 300 words each). Please indicate if you would like your paper to be considered for a monograph to be published in conjunction with the conference.
Deadline for submissions: January 31, 2022.
Notification of acceptance by: March 14, 2022.
Chair: Dr Joyce Goggin
Co-chairs: Dr Peter Collinge, Dr Sarah Dredge, Dr Emma Newport
The conference is generously supported by IMS - FORTH.
For any enquiries regarding the programme, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our website at: http://www.womenmoneymarkets.co.uk/
Please send proposals to: email@example.com; S.Dredge@shu.ac.uk; and firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you at Women, Money and Markets (1600-1900) in June 2022!